Sunday, October 20, 2013

So, I like pasta as much as anyone but we all know it can be one of the worst enemies of healthy eating.  Unless....... ..you buy 100% whole wheat pasta.  The trick to this is to read the label.  Lots of pasta looks healthy on the box, but is actually just as bad (or worse) than the regular kind.  Read the label and be sure it does not say the word 'enriched' in the ingredients.  Read down about 5 ingredients because sometimes it will say whole wheat pasta and then enriched.  As long as you do not see the word 'enriched', you can add pasta to your healthy eating plan.  I LOVE Rozoni Healthy Harvest lasagna noodles.  The other trick to healthy lasagna is to not overdue the cheese.  I replace mozzarella with cottage cheese.  It is actually kind of funny because my lasagna looks pretty funny coming out.  One corner with cottage cheese for me, one corner without meat for Danika, and the rest with mozzarella for Nick and Dominic.  We are diverse eaters in my house. ;) Ground turkey or lean ground beef both work well with this recipe.  I also turned back to my friend the sandwich thins with my lasagna.  I toast them in the toaster, add a little Move Over Butter and garlic salt, and VIOLA low calorie garlic bread to go with my lasagna. 

For my workout today, I am going for an old-fashioned run while I still can.  I swear I was actually born in California and my parents never told me.  I am the worst Minnesota girl EVER!  I will not run outside once I have to wear a sweatshirt unless someone is chasing me!  I am also the worst runner ever.  The whole time I am hating people who "run for fun."  I'm over here all like, "This is not fun.  This does not clear my head. This is not stress relief."  BUT, the benefits of running outweigh the 30 minutes of hating it.  I think about how I will feel after and how much I will love it when I can fit in my favorite jeans! 

No comments:

Post a Comment