Saturday, November 23, 2013

I kept seeing this recipe floating around Pinterest that included pasta, bacon, and cream of chicken soup in a casserole.  I decided I was going to try it "healthy" by using whole wheat noodles, turkey bacon, and homemade cream of chicken.  However, after I had all the ingredients ready to go, my oven stopped working.  I decided to try making it as a hotdish on the stove top instead, and it was amazing!!! You will need everything pictured below.  I also add things as I go, so you will also need chopped garlic,  an onion,  and onion powder. 
Start by cooking the bacon in a skillet.  I used 5 pieces.  While it is frying, cut 3 chicken breasts into chunks and cut up part of an onion.  
Take the bacon off and set it aside.  Cook the chicken in onion in the same pan.  They will soak up some of the bacon flavor.  While the chicken is cooking, mix the following in a bowl: 2 cups of milk, 2 packets of chicken bouillon, half a cup of whipped cream cheese, and 4 T of flour.  Stir until most of the chunks are out. 

Stir in the chicken once it is cooked being sure it is well, coated.  While you are doing this, boil the noodles.  I used about 3/4 of the box.   Drain the noodles and put them back in the pot.  Pour the chicken mixture over the noodles and stir well.  Add about a cup of Colby Jack cheese and the crumpled bacon. 
Cook on medium heat. I added some chopped garlic and onion powder while it simmered.   It will be runny at first, but thickens as it cooks.  I cooked it for about 25 mintues. 
Yum!  It was good.  Oh look, my friend the sandwich thin with butter and garlic salt :)

No comments:

Post a Comment